corrinthia

Tracing The Stars

I read mostly science fiction and romance, and often a combination of the two.

Embattled Minds (Lost and Found, #2) - J.M. Madden Oh how I wish this was longer! This story is a novella, but it is well written and I think, despite my desire for more, that the length was appropriate for what the story needed to tell. There are several important issues and themes explored in this book - from PTSD effects on family, to PTSD suicide, to dealing with disfigurement and acceptance. All of the issues were handled respectfully and honestly. Mixed with these issues is a believable romance between Ember, who is a single mother dealing with a father suffering from PTSD, and Zeke, who has been left disfigured and slightly brain damaged by his service in the military. It is impossible not to feel for Ember and the choices she makes and it is impossible not to fall in love with Zeke. Try it, I dare you. J.M. also achieves something that a few authors in this post-military genre flounder at - You gain a deep feeling for the men without pitying them. You feel sorry for the circumstances, but you don't feel "sorry" for them. You are encouraged by their stories, instead, and I think that is a wonderful take and it opens a much needed discussion and dialogue on how soldiers returning home are dealt with. It appears that Chad's story is next and I am waiting on pins and needles for his story and more of J.M. Madden's honest, well researched and exploratory writing. You know, though, J.M. - I would adore you if you decided to add in a female military character. Men aren't the only ones coming home broken. :)