corrinthia

Tracing The Stars

I read mostly science fiction and romance, and often a combination of the two.

Seed

Seed - Rob Ziegler Where to start. This is not a casual read by any stretch of the imagination. This is a thick stew of descriptive adjectives and figurative language floating in a pool of brown earthen gravy. I can understand how some of the reviewers were turned off by the style and the, sometimes overused, figuratives, which at times did leave the story feeling a bit heavy. It left me reminiscing of Huxley or Atwood's Oryx and Crake, and it filled a barren spot in my imagination that had formed from the reading of too many bare-bones dystopian stories.

I read one negative review which said that the book was too negative. Too harsh. Too cold.
This is a book about what happens after the world falls apart. Human nature is not to sit around a fire and sing kum-by-ya. Human nature is to take whatever scrap it can find and tear it from the hands of another to survive if it must. This is a raw story of bitter earth, the weakness and endurance of man, the birth and downfall of a god and the continued uncertainty about the days to come after.

I also know that some readers were put off by the first two chapters, and I know that some never made it past them. I have to agree, and I think it would serve the author to add a new chapter 1 or a prologue to set the tone of the story a bit more; perhaps an early introduction to Satori and the fathers. The first two chapters felt, at first, like being thrown into the passenger's seat of a Quinton Tarantino film. I almost put it down. Something kept pulling me onward, and by chapter 4 I was enraptured by the style and story.

So, my suggestion is if you read this book, at least give it until chapter five or six before passing judgment. It's written in a style that has become rare, and it will take your mind sometime to adjust to it and take everything in. If you can keep going, it will be worth it.