corrinthia

Tracing The Stars

I read mostly science fiction and romance, and often a combination of the two.

Evan's Ladies is the first book I have read from this series or by this author. I was given a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Although this book can be considered within the science Fiction Romance genre, it is not the normal subgenre or style that I typically read - it has very formal regency flavor to it. If you were to take the science fiction elements out of it, then it would very well be a regency romance, full of lords and ladies, posh parties, political maneuvering and well manicured mannerisms.

I think that any fan of regency style romance would very much enjoy this series, and the science fiction elements are subtle enough so that they wouldn't pose a roadblock to readers who do not typically read science fiction. The science fiction is still strong enough to appeal to science fiction fans like myself. The author achieved a very good balance in that regard.

Evan's Ladies is a collection of interconnected stories with Prince Evan being the connecting thread. Because I haven't read any of the preceding books in the series, There were a few times were the characters, politics and world building was a bit lost on me, but I do feel that this book can stand on its own. The book is extremely well written. It has excellent pace, flow, description and dialogue. The romance and the characters were realistic and it wasn't all happy clouds and perfect butterflies, which is an important point to me. I love that the romance felt like it was happening between two real adults.

Although this book was not something I would have read on my own, as I am not a fan of regency style, the book was able to make me feel. It made me smile, pulled at my heartstrings in more than one place and gave me enjoyment to read.